About Michael Fields Agricultural Institute
Our board and staff are deeply committed to sustainable agriculture, but it is through our many collaborations that we have the most reach. We also focus on fostering the next generation of sustainable agriculture proponents, and our interns and alumni have gone on to work in sustainable agriculture in diverse ways.
We are based in East Troy, Wisconsin, but our work affects the state, the country, and beyond. Our goal is to reach out to all types of farmers whether they consider themselves conventional, organic, or biodynamic.
- Our Crop and Soil Research is comprised of three initiatives: 1) Organic Corn Breeding and Germplasm Development, and 2) Organic Management Practices for Enhanced Yields and Weed Control, and 3) Agroecological Cropping Systems Development. Research also includes work on new crops like industrial hemp (both grain and CBD/CBG types) to test its geographic suitability, variety evaluation, and management practices to maximize yields.
- Our Farm and Food Education program trains new and existing farmers in all aspects of sustainable agriculture.
- Our Public Policy program engages grassroots support for sustainable agriculture while helping farmers and others take full advantage of sustainable agriculture programs.
- The next 10 or 20 years will bring a huge shift in who owns and who manages farmland. Our programs are working to facilitate this Land Transition for the betterment of farmers, consumers and the environment.
- We also keep abreast of current issues in agriculture and highlight them in our Director’s Blog. We welcome your comments.