Calling All Home Bakers! Brewers! Grain Users! We Need YOU
December 9, 2020
MFAI is offering an exciting opportunity for home makers to try making their food products with Kernza(R) and join a growing coalition of folks investing in environmentally friendly crops. Join our Kernza Makers Challenge today!
Kernza is the first perennial grain undergoing widespread commercialization, and is looked to as a new leading crop to promote environmental benefits. Unlike normal annual grains like wheat, Kernza cleans water as it moves through the soil, resulting in less nutrient pollution of ground and surface waters, less well contamination, and less toxic algae blooms in lakes and rivers. Kernza also builds an extensive root system as it grows year after year, keeping soil in place and building soil carbon.
Kernza could also be nutritionally beneficial. As a close relative of wheat, Kernza contains more protein, dietary fiber and bioactive compounds such as carotenoids compared to wheat, but lacks in some gluten components that limit its oven spring and resulting airiness in bread, biscuits, and other baked products. However, bakers have stated that its extra nutty (and some say, cinnamony!) flavor more than makes up for the flatter appearance of end products.
Kernza has already been used in breads, tortillas, cakes, crackers, and cookies, as well as in brewing and distilling operations to make beer and liquors. We want you to show us what YOU can do with Kernza. Participants will receive FREE in the mail a 2-lb bag of Kernza flour. In return, we ask that you fill out a brief survey and share pictures of what you do with the Kernza flour.
1. Email Nicole at Michael Fields (firstname.lastname@example.org) to start the process.
2. Get excited when you open your package of Kernza flour when it comes in the mail.
3. Make! Bake, brew, do whatever you do.
4. Fill out the survey form sent to you via email. Send Nicole your awesome Kernza product pics.
5. ENJOY your tasty treat.
6. We hope you will network with other home makers interested in investing in the environment. Watch for networking opportunities offered by MFAI.
Contact Nicole, email@example.com, with any questions.