The 2020 Buy Local Buy Wisconsin Program Application period is now open
January 7, 2020
Applications are due by 12:00 PM on Friday, February 28, 2020.
The Buy Local, Buy Wisconsin (BLBW) program seeks to increase awareness and consumption of locally produced foods and related products and to increase the production and improve the distribution of foods and related products for local consumption. The Buy Local Buy Wisconsin Grant program is an economic development program designed to help the Wisconsin agricultural and food industry find ways to improve food production, processing, marketing, and distribution with the ultimate goal of expanding Wisconsin’s local food system. BLBW grant funds are administered by the Division of Agricultural Development at the Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection (DATCP).
Each proposal must include a cover page, a completed budget template and project description. Applications are available online at https://datcp.wi.gov/Pages/BuyLocalBuyWisconsinGrants.aspx
DATCP may award grants to individuals or organizations to fund projects that are designed to increase the sale Wisconsin agricultural or food products to local purchasers. This includes grants for projects to create, expand, diversify, or promote any of the following:
• • Local food marketing systems and market outlets.
• • Local food and cultural tourism routes.
• • Production, processing, marketing, and distribution of Wisconsin food products primarily for sale to local purchasers.
Grants are awarded following a competitive review process. The target date for grant award notification is June 1, 2020.
• Requests must be between $5,000 and $50,000.
• Budgets must show at least a 1-to-1 match. (For every dollar of BLBW funds requested, applicant must spend at least one dollar cash or in-kind funds on the project.)
• Project must be completed within 24 months after contract is signed by DATCP. A no-cost extension of up to one year is available upon request and is granted at the discretion of program manager.
• Primary beneficiaries are Wisconsin agriculture products based businesses (including farms, value-added food businesses, processors, growers associations, famer/rancher coops, schools and institutions, food service operations, and non-profit organizations).
• Private farms or agribusinesses applying for funds must be selling at least 51% of their agricultural products locally. Value-added food businesses, or processors must be purchasing, or growing at least 51% of their product (by weight) ingredients locally.
• If you have received funding from the Buy Local, Buy Wisconsin Grant program within the last four years, you are not eligible to apply.
• If you currently have any grant with DATCP’s Division of Agricultural Development you are not eligible to apply (this includes Specialty Crop Block Grants and Dairy Processor Grants).
• Dairy processors looking for grant funds should apply to DATCP’s Division of Agricultural Development’s Dairy Processors Grant.
Anyone with questions about the application process can contact DATCP Grants Specialist Juli Speck at email@example.com or 608-224-5134.